Sunday, October 13, 2013

My Story

On October 6, 2012, during the Saturday Morning Session of General Conference, President Thomas S. Monson announced that boys could serve missions at the age of 18 instead of the previous age of 19. He went on to explain how girls could now start serving missions at the age of 19 instead of 21. I was lucky enough to be there at the Conference Center in Salt Lake City, Utah and witness this historical event. I had never been to a live session of conference before and my brother surprised me with tickets to the Saturday Morning Session. Little did I know that that day would change my life. This is the day I initially decided to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!

I started my papers and had everything completed except for my dentist paperwork and appointment when I decided that I didn't want to serve a mission anymore. I continued school for a year, dated a lot, had fun with my friends, and just thought "Oh I'm just going to get married and not go on a mission anymore." This is not what the Lord wanted me to do. The topic of missions kept coming up around me and I kept pushing the thought of serving aside. My bishop called me into his office one Sunday morning and I knew it was about my mission papers-it was a different Bishop then the one I began my papers with. He was so excited I was going to serve a mission and as I had known all along that was what I was going to do. So I explained to him how I had put the idea aside but I knew that was what the Lord wanted me to do. So when he asked if there was anything he could do for me I asked him if he could keep me in his prayers that I might be at ease and be okay with serving a mission cause the whole idea of leaving my family and new friends and opportunities at school behind scared me.

Later that week I had my dentist appointment and finished my papers. Later I got my interviews with the Bishop and Stake President, and then my papers were finally submitted! It was so great to see they were submitted, of course I was still scared and nervous about serving. 

On July 27, 2013 I received my call. I am called to serve in the Arcadia California English Speaking Mission for 18 months! This was such a tender mercy to me that I received my call that day-12 days after my papers were officially submitted to Salt Lake- because I wanted to receive my temple endowment the first week of August and I was leaving to go home from school in 4 days. I was able to meet with my Bishop and Stake President the next day to receive my temple recommend to receive my endowment. I would not have been able to meet with them if I did not have my call. 

On August 6, 2013 I received my endowment in the Palmyra Temple with my mom, dad, two older brothers, their wives, and my Grandma and Grandpa who had permission from their mission president in Kirtland Ohio to come for this special occasion. My family was together for a week for a family vacation and I wanted my siblings to be there when I received my endowment.


While I was at the temple that day, I was asked if I would like to be a temple worker before I left on my mission. I accepted and was so excited to serve in the temple. It was such an amazing experience serving in the temple and learning the ordinances there and serving the people who came, along with the countless others. 

Today I gave my mission farewell talk and tomorrow I will be set apart as a Missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am so excited I have the opportunity to serve a mission for 18 months! 






No comments:

Post a Comment